If you need to create a SQL Server account when using mixed mode authentication, follow this process for SQL Server 2012:
Open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Connect to the SQL Server database where you would like to create a login.
- Open the Security folder.
- Right-click on the Logins folder and select New Login.
- If you would like to assign rights to a Windows account, select “Windows authentication”. If you would like to create an account that exists only in the database, select “SQL Server authentication”.
- Provide the login name in the text box, you may use the Browse button to select an existing account if you chose Windows authentication.
- If you chose SQL Server authentication, you must also provide a password (preferably a strong one!) in both the Password and Confirmation text boxes
- Customize the default database and language for the account, if desired, using the drop-down boxes at the bottom of the window.
- Click OK to create the account.