- Click the File tab -> Options (if you’re using Office 2007, click the Office button then click Options).
- Click Advanced.
- Scroll down to the Display section and tick ‘Show all windows in the taskbar’.
The default setting in the Office 2007 and 2010 is open file in same window with different subwindows, some people don’t feel comfortable with this setting.
Navigate to the registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\Open
1. Change the value of the Open\command registry key.
To do this, expand Command, double-click the Default entry(REG_SZ), and then change the value to the following (with the quotes):
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE” “%1”
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE” “%1”
Then, double-click the command key, move the cursor to the end of the string, and then replace /dde with “%1”. If you are using Office 2007, replace /e with “%1”.
2. Rename Open\ddeexec.
To do this, right-click ddeexec, click Rename, and then change it to a new name. For example, ddeexec2.
3. In the same way, repeat the above steps to back up and modify the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open registry key.
4. In the same way, repeat the above steps to back up and modify the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.CSV\shell\Open registry key.